Thursday, December 30, 2004

Moonlighting

Moonlighting is something I have been thinking about for a long time, mainly in relation to the live music scene I have been around and photographing for the last couple of years. As spectators we have a limited point of view when it comes to the musicians on stage. We listen, we groove, we appreciate, we buy the music and enjoy the heck out of the live experience, I know I do. I also find myself constantly creatively inspired by the energy, the entertainment factor, the musicianship of these very hard-working people who get up on stage and pour it all out. I think it takes courage, passion and tremendous imagination and skill. But how often do we really consider what their "day job" is?
So as a photographer with a journalist heart I have had two things quietly rolling around in my head...
1-- Most of these people have to work to make a living, shows don't necessarily pay the rent. What do they do? How do they support themselves? Can you make a living just playing in the local clubs?
2-- It's an incestuous business. Many of these musicians are in more than one band, have solo projects on the side and many have been in so many bands they can't even count the number using all their various digits.
I went to Cheap Thrills with a friend a few days ago to find some cool vintage clothes and ran into Mike Farrell of Th Losin' Streaks. Seeing this well known, awesomely talented musician working behind the counter crystallized the entire thing for me. I remember blurting out the word "Moonlighting!" and asked him on the spot if he would be my first subject. He said "Yes!" By that night I had set up the blogazine and already had a list of people I wanted to feature.
So here goes...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes!!! You are an inspiration. Keep going strong!
-G

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Content copyright protected by Copyscape website plagiarism search